Worldwide partnerships and collaborative projects
The Globally Responsible Leadership Initiative exists to catalyse the development of globally responsible leadership and practice in organisations and societies worldwide. It is the leading incubator for innovation and new practice in business schools and for collaboration with business in the space of ethics, responsibility, and sustainability.
We bring together an international multi-sector community – leaders, practitioners, professionals, academics and the next generation – to create awareness of the need and urgency for responsible global action and to equip individuals, organizations and societies to respond to this call. Founded in 2004 by EFMD and the UN Global Compact, today it comprises 70 partner (member) organisations who join based on their commitment to transforming leadership development. Since GRLI’s inception, our partners and members have worked collectively to support transformation in management education and business towards global responsibility.
The GRLI engages in thought leadership, advocacy and projects to achieve measurable impact. Over the past years the GRLI has developed the concept of global responsibility as a higher order of responsibility beyond CSR and catalysed the creation of two new academic journals (Journal of Global Responsibility and The Sustainability, Accounting, Management and Policy Journal). It’s current work includes a framework to measure global responsibility (The GRID) which has been successfully tested in a number of organisations. Current projects and activities include faculty development, the establishment of a worldwide network of local Councils for Leadership, Business Summits, Academic Conferences, research into the Corporation of the 21st Century, a young ambassadors programme, blueprinting the business school of the 21st century and a book series.
GRLI guiding principles
We are about creating individual and collective leadership and practice that is globally responsible – that strives to be the best FOR the world rather than the best IN the world.
- Everything we produce is a contribution to the global commons and is freely shared.
- What we do should create hands-on results on the ground and long-lasting, scalable effects.
- Our operating mode is built on the entrepreneurial approach of “Think big. Act small. Start now.”
- We recognise that effective change requires work at individual, organisational and systemic levels.
- Making an impact at the organisational and systemic level requires committed, dedicated and empowered individuals who are willing to bring a ‘whole person’ approach to their work and to their lives.